Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Episode 46 A Difficult Situation


 "What's this?" Blake looked at the brochures scattered across the coffee table and knew full well that they advertised travel packages.

"That's our honeymoon," Jeni replied. "I thought we could start in Paris, then go through Italy and finish up with a week or two on a Greek Island."

The two of them were in Jeni's living room sitting awkwardly side by side on the very sofa where it was likely their child had been conceived. The notion made Blake fidget--he hadn't planned on being a father again at this stage of his life. And given the state of his three adult children, he was pretty sure he sucked at parenting.

"Aren't you getting a little ahead of yourself?" Blake asked. "After all, I haven't asked you to marry me yet. And in case you've forgotten, I'm still legally married to Genevra."

"Details," Jeni said, offering him her dazzling and determined smile. She leaned into his shoulder, gazing up at him with eyes that were more calculating than adoring. "We're going to have such a wonderful time."

Adrenaline surged through Blake's system. Fight or flight.

"I don't know," he said. "I think we need to re-think the situation. We've had a nice little . . . thing going, but I'm too old to be starting another family."

Jeni's expression hardened. "So, you're saying you don't want to marry me?"

Blake winced. She made him sound so heartless. "I'm only saying we have options. We need to think things through." He hesitated, then blurted out what was really on his mind. "Are you sure you want this baby?"

No comments:

Post a Comment